Oxford!

What trip to England would be complete without a visit to Oxford? Home of one of the oldest universities in the English-speaking world, of the four-minute mile, of Lewis and Tolkien and Carroll. The university is beautiful! There's only one thing that I didn't like about Oxford. The general public isn't admitted into the Bodleian Library. It looks perfectly lovely, though. You probably know that it's where they filmed the library scenes in the Harry Potter films. Exciting, huh?

Bodleian Library!

Somewhere inside...

So, I gave up loitering outside the famous library hoping to make a stealthy entrance, and went in search of bookstores. (Okay, I didn't really loiter... more like, glowered morosely for a minute. But, the idea still applies.) Oh, there were so many! There was a really fabulous one that was several stores. On the basement and first floor were new books, but above that they had entire floors (okay, two floors, I think...)  of used books. The fiction section was amazing! I know I bought something there... only, I can't remember what I did buy. I remember looking for a nice copy of Tolkien; I somehow thought that it would be appropriate, and I wanted to find a nice hardcover copy of the Fellowship. Ah well. But, his bookshop was called Blackwell's. It was more of a chain, but I don't mind used bookstore chains, because the selection will always be different. The other cool thing about Blackwell's is that they have specialty stores. For example, the have an Art and Poster Shop, Maps and Travel Shop, etc.

 UK Barnes and Noble?
But there was another fabulous, smaller bookshop. Keyword: small. It was really neat though. This is a shop for you science fiction and comic fans. They have a pretty cool selection when it comes to that. It's called Booklover Oxford. Great name, right? Okay, maybe not. But still, don't let that stop you from going in!

Booklover Oxford!

0 comments:

Post a Comment