Edinburgh's National Library

Edinburgh is one of my favorite cities in the world. Not only is it the stunningly beautiful home of Harry Potter (which is simply awesome all by itself), but it's also the city of Sir Walter Scott, and my personal favorite, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Sherlock Holmes fan, anyone? I would so marry him... if he were the marrying type. oh, which reminds me, anyone seen the new BBC drama Sherlock? It. Is. Fantastic! I wish  they would do more episodes! But, it's a mini-series, really. Check out this preview, and tell me if you think a modern Holmes isn't just as cool...



Anyways, so back in Edinburgh. It's a perfectly wonderful place, and I went into the National Library of Scotland and the Edinburgh Central Library. I was astounded! How lucky are they who get to use these place every day? Granted, this isn't a bookshop; but, I have another confession. I love libraries. They are like a temple for books. Mostly. But this library was astounding! It was one of the most beautiful and reverent libraries I've ever been in. I felt smarter just for walking in the door. Can I just say that those people who started public libraries were Godsents? I mean, the idea really is brilliant. I know sometimes I pass up spending money on a book, even if I love it, simply because I know I can get it anytime I want at the library. It's a place of wisdom, learning, and progress. It symbolizes the mind's desires to simply know and understand.

Perhaps I'm being too abstract. All I know was that walking around the National Library of Scotland was a highlight of the city. I'd go back just for that!

Beautiful, right?
National Library of Scotland!


And the Edinburgh Central Library is so architecturally unique. I've never seen a library that look so much like the library Beast shows to Belle. Ever since I was a little girl, I wanted that library! Ha. Not impractical at all, right?

Ok, this is the Edinburgh Central Library.
   Oh, and just for one last fun thought: J. K. Rowling apparently began writing Harry Potter with a view of the Edinburgh Castle from the Elephant House. Pretty amazing inspiration, eh?

Edinburgh Castle!

0 comments:

Post a Comment